Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Paisley Shirts and Tight-Rolled Jeans

Undoubtedly, this photo (even ignoring the date imprint) tells the story of just how long Matt Oliver and I have been friends. Our friendship actually started about 5 years before this, but this is when we both really starting getting into music--for Matt, it was the electric guitar; for me, clearly, it was the allure of the oh-so-versatile tambourine.

The last time Matt and I played a show together was, well, never! Aside from back porch jams and the occasional performance at a wedding, we have never shared a stage. Until this week, that is! Hope you'll come join these two handsome young men on Saturday, December 16 at about 9 p.m. at Otherlands (641 S. Cooper in Midtown Memphis) for a great evening of music. I promise not to wear that shirt!

We'll be joined by our pal David Twombly on percussion. Another David--David Brookings--is scheduled to open the show at around 8:30 p.m. Otherlands is a smoke-free, ALL AGES venue that serves beverages for folks of all ages, as well. The first 10 paid attendees ($5 cover) will receive a special holiday gift. Alright! See you there!!

4 Comments:

At 4:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...Hickory Ridge Mall, ca. 1993...I passed on that shirt for an equally bright one that would've allowed me (if I'd only had the travel funds) to wander unseen in the Amazon rain forests. Looking forward to Saturday!

 
At 1:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The show was so fabulous last night! It turns out that David Brookings and I met when he first began working at Sun Studios.

Matt was such a wonderful addition to the set. He is such a talent on the guitar. I particularly enjoyed that part of the set.

I really enjoyed myself last night, and now my roommate is a fan!

Lauren

 
At 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauren is right...that Matt Oliver can really wail!

Just wanted to put in a good word about the fans of the Standards--they're really a great bunch of folks (and they're great listeners...something you don't always find out there!).

Thanks again for letting me sit in with y'all--

David

 
At 9:35 PM , Blogger Scotta Allen said...

Let me just say that the cover of Cortez the Killer, was amazing. That was some big time stuff there, awesome guitar playing by Matt. I would love a live copy of that, if it happens again. WOW!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home