Tuesday, September 26, 2006

New Digs!

So, here we are last night in our brand new rehearsal space! It's much more spacious and comfortably carpeted, so we can practice in our bare feet. The room also happens to be right down the hall from Ted's new kitchen, which is always stocked with an array of ice cold lovely beverages. Thanks to Ted and Sarah for allowing the band room to move across town with them!

It's true...we've been in hiding. Due to a series of major life events happening to every member of the group, it's been a long, long time since we've played a show. Just about 5 weeks! For those in the Memphis area, though, the wait is over! We'll be doing a special set tomorrow night at the Germantown Library. The folks at the library are mighty good to us, and we're always pleased to support literacy. Won't you?!

THE CENTRAL STANDARDS
Live at Germantown Community Library
1925 Exeter Road
Wednesday, September 27
6:30-7:30 p.m.
FREE!!!

4 Comments:

At 6:05 PM , Blogger amber c. said...

with all that room in the new band space, seems like you could have your own mini beverage fridge to save from trapsing through the house! i'm sure sarah would love that!

 
At 11:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could remember what happened to the Brown Danby dorm fridge, I'd hook you up, Jeff!

What was the name of that song anyway, Jeff? I remember name-checking the Danby, the "indie rock" bass line, and that it is your only recorded performance on drums that I'm aware of.

Anyway, I'm sure it's nice to be able to move a little bit while rehearsing!

 
At 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, man!

Actually, I played drums on "Duck" also. That was on the "Recliner" sessions, featuring other hits like "I Can't Sing", "Sapsong", "Marmalade", "Dos Semanas", etc.

I remember some other (presumably) impromptu lyrics from that tune, but I don't know that it actually had a name. I was bustin' a funky beat, though!

Here are some lyrics that come to mind:
"drink me down, like water, from a plastic cup"
"play me like your favorite instrument, now maybe, that might be a hint"

Good stuff, G!!

 
At 3:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm trying to remember if these two lines went together "drink me down, like water, from a plastic cup" "that sat in my brown, danby refrigerator for days and days and days and days....i just got it today"

anyway, they were definitely impromptu, as in just looking around the room as i sang and trying to tie it all together... i'd be surprised if they were ever written down before this, although i might have scribbled some notes in the, ahem, "session."

good times, jamming and recording all at once. i remember when we wrote b&w boredom, rob started a progression and blake and i filled it out, and you came up with lyrics as we played continuously, and the 3 of us kept playing just to work on the groove as you went inside to use the bathroom, and 15 minutes later, you came back (after some alleged conversations inside), and we were still playing.

one more memory, while i'm on a roll - you, me, and oliver jamming out "prism" as you played with the feedback from my "new pa" (aka 1970s stereo). that song still sticks in my head for the groove, the lyrics and delivery, and the cool lo-fi sound. and for this moment of glorious abandon which has to be heard to be appreciated:

"prism...prism...whooooo! whooooo! whooooo!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home