Wednesday, July 12, 2006

30

So, it happened. Whether or not you're ready, it just does. You get old. The main thing is to not let it pass by without a grand celebration--complete with some horseshoe pitching, nice tunes and great friends. Yep, I hit the big 3-0, and I feel fine. Marty was out-of-town, but the rest of the band joined me in the backyard with a couple dozen other friends, my mother-in-law (in town from Iowa) and my Dad and stepmom (who drove in, unbeknownst to me, from Fort Worth that day). What a great night we had!

One of my three "oldest" Memphis friends (he's only 30, too, but I met him in 1988), Matt Oliver, joined Ted and me for a wonderfully sloppy version of Jerry Jeff Walker's classic "Sangria Wine". We even had some crowd participation, which made it more fun, for sure. Here we are on the deck steps in my backyard.


As is prone to happen, some spontaneous music broke out at the end of the night per request of some of the remaining party guests (that would be my mom-in-law, Dad, stepmom and our lovely wives). Ted and I were reluctant (read sarcasm), but we decided to give the people what they wanted. We did a great little set of tunes, including:
NOTHING TO SEE HERE
YEAR 55
I'M ALRIGHT (Resident Clark)
BILL ME (Resident Clark)
MAKES ME TIRED (unreleased T-Ho song)
SIMON SAYS
HEARTBOUND (10shy)
ROSEMARY
TOP OF THE WHEEL


Here's how our very serious listeners looked. By the way, we were sitting in a makeshift outdoor living room, designed by the very talented Amber Capps!


So, if it had to happen, this was a pretty darn good way for it to go down!

Don't forget, Memphis folks--we'll be at Otherlands on Cooper on Wednesday, July 19 from 8 to 10 p.m. Don't miss this rare opportunity to see and hear a full-band acoustic set. We plan to play several brand new ones, as well!

2 Comments:

At 6:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jeff!

Remember, some Jeffys never age...

 
At 12:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Rich!

Oh, if we could all be as ageless as Jeffy! I think I own (or owned) just about every Family Circus book ever published. A fact that Ted and Amber both ridicule me for regularly! Evidently, Family Circus isn't a "real" comic. Evidently, nobody ever told me that...until them, of course!

Hope all is well, buddy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home