Thursday, October 19, 2006

"So, who's the square in the suit?"

Our pals Dennis, Ric and Luca (from Memphis' Rock 103) have been very good to us this year. Not only have they played our songs consistently on their excellent Sunday evening radio show
The Great Unsigned, but they also included us in an on-line contest that eventually led to our performance at the Beale Street Music Festival in May. They've had us in the studio live a couple of times and used our tunes as bumper music on their weekday show. And just when we thought it couldn't get any better...

Luca e-mails me and tells me that she wants me to represent the Standards on Dennis and Ric billboards that will be placed all over town. Pretty cool, huh? So, here I am on-stage at Newby's on the lovely Highland strip with a bunch of local rock stars who don't wear suits, ties and nerd spectacles. Let alone pose with jumbo body Gibson acoustic guitars. I did feel a little bit odd--especially when the photographer's assistant asked me to put my right foot up on the stage monitor. This lasted all of about 5 seconds. I felt like a total fraud. I then proceeded to kick over one of the electric guitar player's colas. What a clown.

But, it was great fun, and we're thrilled to have the exposure! Keep your eye out for the billboards, Memphis fans. And if you haven't done so already, please be sure to check out Dennis and Ric weekday afternoons and Sunday night (9-11 p.m.) for The Great Unsigned. It's all at 102.7 FM.

And speaking of The Great Unsigned, we'll be joining forces with another program regular, Roger Mexico, next Saturday, October 28 at Neil's in Midtown Memphis. RM is hard at work on a new record, and they have a great sound. Fantastic local singer/songwriter John Paul Keith will kick things off with a short set around 9:30 p.m. We'll play the middle slot, starting around 10. See ya there!!

5 Comments:

At 7:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like one interesting song y'all are playing together...

 
At 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

> I felt like a total fraud. I then proceeded to kick over one of the electric guitar player's colas. What a clown.

Actually, that sounds like it was the bad-attitude rock star moment of the day...totally bolters your street cred, dude. Keep keepin' it real, dawg.

ps: Congrats!

 
At 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(I meant "bolsters"...not "bolters"...sheesh.)

 
At 7:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, I thought you were just executing some Lennon-esque poetic licenstein/word creatitude. I prefer "bolters". Especially since it's an anagram for "lobster".

 
At 11:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bolters my ego for sure!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home